The Individualization Obsession of Mike Giles
Nate speaks to Mike Giles of The Prospecting Wizard, who shares our obsession with injecting humanity into business. Pull up a chair and have a listen to find out where Mike has successfully added crazy levels of individualization to his marketing efforts and what he's working on next.
- Started as an area manager for a German supermarket chain - after a profiling tool told him he would make a good manager ...a Royal Mail (UK version of our Post Office).
- Turns out, that wasn't his forte. At all.
- Joined a small company which became the fastest growing franchise in the UK
- Learned "American style" marketing - through playing around with more creative strategies, measuring what worked and what didn't.
- After leaving that business, transitioned to applying his hard earned marketing chops full time with The Prospecting Wizard, intentionally keeping a tight focus on their human style strategies.
- Worst advice: Go and become a manager at the post office, courtesy of extensive psychometric testing.
- Better advice: Sometimes even seemingly good authoritative advice isn't going to work for you. Nobody knows more than you do what you're interested in.
- Spending the first 5 years after school "learning what I wasn't very good at."
- Best advice: Focus on one thing and do it really well.
- Boring-in-a-really-good-way advice: A mechanical approach to business - create systems, put it on paper, and delegate.
- In his business, the creative part happens at the top when a new client comes on board. Once that's done, you apply the appropriate systems.
- The big trick: How do you create a system for, replicate, and scale extremely individualized outreach?
- Putting yourself in the shoes of the recipient: does this message feel like a real 1:1 email? Does it feel like you'll be engaging with the sender on a human level?
- Mike's current big project: Genuine / personalized video messages. Scaling personalized video marketing.
Browse all episodes